How To Overcome Procrastination Using a Few Simple Techniques
Are you still procrastinating? Do you procrastinate all of the time and don’t know how to stop. That’s me, or at least, that was me before I decided that I needed to do something about it otherwise I was going to procrastinate my life away.
My favourite procrastination technique was watching movies. Now don’t get me wrong, I still love movies, but watching a movie nearly everyday is a bit excessive don’t you think? Can you imagine what I could have achieved during that 12 months if only I had watched half of the movies I did? That would equate to around 200 hours of free time!! Wow, that’s a lot don’t you think.
Anyway, there was no value in beating myself up over it so instead I decided to take action to make my life better. It worked for me and it can certainly work for you. Here is what you can do:
- Understand what procrastination is and why we do it
- Reward yourself when you complete tasks
- Use a timer to practice focusing on a set task for a set period of time. Gradually increase the length of time you focus and reward yourself at the end of each session
- Turn the situation around and look to enjoy the process of achieving something. This mindset change in itself is supremely powerful
- List the reasons why you want to achieve the things you do
- Remove distractions and temptations from around you.
Importantly, be kind to yourself, and give yourself time to overcome procrastination. Most people have been procrastinating for years, so it may take more than one exercise to break the habit. You can kill procrastination though, so don’t give up.
This short video below explains the science behind procrastination and explains a few good tips to overcoming procrastination Check it out here.